Monday, December 7, 2009

Featured SME Member ~ Avaeli Couture



Give us the 411 about yourself.
I am a stay at home mom to 3 1/2 year old twins and have been married to a wonderful man for 14 years. I have been my own boss in the direct sales business for over 10 years and it is where I am most comfortable. It has allowed me to stay at home with my children while at the same time having a fulfilling career...... the best of BOTH worlds!! (also the hardest job in the world too!)

What's the story behind the name of your business?
I have boy/girl twins and their names are Eli and Ava. I decided to put the two names together to form "Avaeli" (pronounced UH-VAY-LEE) and added Couture. Couture means it was made for you, the best of the best :-)

How did you get involved in your craft?
I have a love for jewelry and a love for home shows, so I thought it would be fun to combine the two and start my own business! The hand-stamped collection of my business was born approximately one year ago after I saw a friend wearing a similar necklace. Unfortunately, her necklace was very pricey and I really did not want to spend that kind of money. BUT, I soon became obsessed over it and started doing research online. I decided to buy some supplies to start making the hand stamped jewelry myself. I soon became engrossed! I found myself making new pieces everyday and wearing them the moment I created them! Now, I have over 75 pieces in my collection, all designed and made by me at a price everyone can afford! I am selling my pieces on Etsy and via home shows and craft fairs. The response has been incredible and I am enjoying it so much! I absolutely love creating pieces for my customers that I know they will cherish forever :-)

What inspires you?
My family! When I am creating my jewelry pieces I always do it with my kids and husband in mind. I create things that I can wear with their names on it. I am also inspired by all of the other awesome artists on Etsy and on the Show Me team!

Beside your craft, what other activities do you enjoy?
I love to eat, see movies, shop, spend time with friends/family and sleep! I also love live theater and have performed in many shows myself, there is nothing on this earth that makes me as happy as to be on stage. Another thing that makes me feel most happy is the ocean. I feel drawn to it, peaceful and content around it and there is no place else I would rather be! (except for on stage, wait, I already said that!) I also love wine and everything about it. Whether I am learning about it or drinking it :-)

Can you give any advice about selling on Etsy?
Spend lots of time there! Research the site and learn as much as you can. Also, take good photographs of your listings. Your photos create the feel of your shop and customers are more apt to purchase your item if it looks great!

Favorite movie/book/music?
I love so many movies and all types of music! I do however love movies based on true stories and non-fiction auto biographical books are the only books that I read. Music? Everything and anything EXCEPT for country and death metal! LOL

In ten years you'll be...
Dealing with TWO 13 year olds!!!! OH MY GOSH, help!!! hahaha

No comments: